Thursday, December 2, 2010

Grammy Awards ... and the nominees are ...

... "creators" of mostly stale, unoriginal notes, beats and nonsense.
I can't be the only one who has stopped listening to new music -- not listening to music on the radio or downloading new songs or albums from iTunes. I haven't watched a new music video -- or a music video for that matter -- for at least 10 years.
Maybe I'm getting long in the tooth but as I read the hype about the recent Grammy nods -- who's in and whose feelings got miffed -- I am indifferent. Is there any new music?
Obviously there are millions of people across the world who care, you are surfing the web or TV for news about the nominees and their reactions to being nominated ... blah blah blah ... but I can't find any interest -- except for the fashion part of the event, which I review the day after the big soiree on the Internet, eyeballing the photos as if I could afford any of those threads or looks.
I'm not so out of the loop that I don't know and enjoy some of the nominees ... Eminem, Cee-Lo, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga ... as for the rest, I either don't recognize the name or do but never listened to their work. I only listen to the radio for talk or for oldies (I'm talking '90s and later). I won't switch it off if a new song comes on but I don't search them out.
I attribute this love of new music to youth, budding teenagers meet these artists as their first taste of the music scene, the first drop that will linger in their system forever. To them, this is new because of their lack of past experiences with older music to use as comparison or this isn't their first taste but they hate their parents so much that they also hate their musical tastes, as well as their fashion, speech and overall existence. I remember my youth and the bands and musicians I was obsessed with, their posters glued to my wall, their notes screaming out of my headphones as if they knew exactly what I was going through and could help.
What I don't understand are the older folk. Yeah, I like Lady Gaga, but I love older stuff. Music is like relationships: human beings are only capable of handling so many close friends. Isn't it the same for music? There are people who will fall for anything new, new music, new restaurant, new TV show, new books, new clothing styles, new, new new ... check me out, I know what's cool!
Stop cheating on your first love with these posers! Love the one you're with.

1 comment: