Monday, September 9, 2013

50 Shades of Grey: Charlie Hunnam, Dakota Johnson, An Unlikely Story - Is This What Women Fantasize About?

After the media flurry over Charlie Hunnam being cast as Christian Grey in the film adaption of E. L. James' "Fifty Shades of Grey," I figured I'd give the book a go -- yes, I know it came out in 2011. Better late than never.
At 269 pages (halfway there), I can see why "Fifty Shades" lovers are upset. I don't see Hunnam as complicated billionaire Christian Grey. Perhaps it's because I've only seen him in "Sons of Anarchy" and "Pacific Rim," but he seems more tough guy than control freak, dominant sex fiend. I don't know who I envision other than a young Christian Bale (his character is reminiscent of Bale's in "American Psycho") but I'll be interested to see if Hunnam can pull it off because he's a cutie.
With that out of the way, why is this book so popular? Is it because it's directed towards women and it includes taboo items our pretty little heads aren't supposed to think about -- like talk of whips, butt plugs, bondage, vaginal fisting, anal sex? We aren't supposed to even know what that stuff is, right? If we read this then we are living on the edge! I ask this because the premise is far from likely, reminding me of a Penthouse letter detailing scenarios which obviously never occurred.
A young woman, Anastasia Steele, is about to graduate college and has never had sex, never masturbated and never gotten drunk -- she's more interested in English literature and drinking like an adult. She is clumsy and unsure of herself, not popular with guys, yet she's beautiful and attracts the attention of a drop-dead gorgeous late-20s billionaire who borders on obsessed. He is a master pianist, can fly a helicopter, uses his money to help combat world hunger, and enjoys good wine and classical music. He's never had a normal relationship with a woman, including what he describes as vanilla sex and the layman describes as sex. He's never even slept next to a woman yet he lets his borders down for her because isn't that what always happens in women's literature -- we have an unattainable man we are able to change. We'll be the one to make him settle down, we'll be the one he opens up to about his difficult childhood. Oh, did I mention he's into S&M? Like really into S&M. Like the old Ludacris song, "Whips, chains, handcuffs ... smack a little booty with my belt." Of course he's gorgeous, has a generous penis and makes her reach orgasm constantly, like rub her nipples and she's shooting off like a rocket to Pleasure Land, like she has her first wet dream because he's unleashed her sexuality. She becomes obsessed with him and is turned on by a glance from her lover.
I find it hard to believe a virgin, so virginal she doesn't masturbate, agrees to become a submissive in an S&M scheme with a man she hardly knows. Oh wait, they have an electric connection and blah blah blah. I find this book to be a predictable romance spiced with S&M taboo-ness. Also, could this be more of a "Twilight" rip off -- young, demure girl who is awkward yet doesn't know she's beautiful and becomes a desirous object to an unattainable, eccentric man. Maybe I should relax and enjoy the ride -- some of the sex scenes have been decent (I don't know how much will make the movie) -- but I can't help but feel E. L. James is laughing at me and women everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment