Thursday, October 15, 2015

Lamar Odom: People Only Like You When You're Dying

Last night while skimming Twitter, I asked my husband, "Do you think Lamar Odom is going to die?" He looked at me wide-eyed and said something along the lines of: I don't wish the guy harm but, honestly, I don't care either way.
We aren't Kardashian fans (or foes). We aren't NBA fans. The only thing we know about Lamar Odom is he was in the NBA, dated Khloe Kardashian and had a drug problem, knowledge we gained from, most likely, Twitter headlines because that's where most of our news comes from nowadays. We don't dislike or like him or what he's about - it just isn't on our radar.
So, with news he overdosed at a whorehouse in Nevada and is fighting for his life ... well, it's sad but why is everyone coming out of the woodwork to praise the guy? Where were they when he left the NBA years ago and started this doomed voyage?
I find it creepy and happening more in my personal life as well as with celebrities. Is it a fear of death? We are uncertain with mortality so when someone is on the verge of death, whoever they may be to us, we feel frightened for them? We pity them?
Take a person. They are in your life, in whatever capacity, but you don't necessarily care for them so you keep your distance. Bam. They have a terminal illness. Why do we then reach out to them? Show love and support if we don't like them? Stop badmouthing them as if God will strike us down?
Why is not OK to dislike someone who is fighting a disease or illness or someone who is dying or died? That's not to say you wish ill on them but why is not OK to not care?
Someone dies. They weren't the best to you in life - maybe they were mean or hurt you or whatever. Why must we pretend the negatives didn't happen and focus on positives? So we can be at peace? If you would have never made peace with the person during their life, than why do it after death when they aren't here to accept it?
I don't know Lamar Odom and never will. I don't dislike him but I don't like him either. Why must I care he is dying? Why is it not OK to not care?

No comments:

Post a Comment