Saturday, July 9, 2011

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows, JK Rowling, Excessive Ram-Down-Your-Throat Overkill

So ... I have acquaintances who are self-proclaimed Harry Potter fans, as in they read the books, watched the movies, loved everything -- from the obsessed to the everyday run-of-the-mill fan. With the upcoming July 15, 2011 release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," I got to thinking ... what's my problem?
I hear the books are great. Better than great! I hear I'd enjoy them. I hear the movies are great, especially for someone who typically doesn't enjoy film adaptations of books. Nonetheless, I hear I'd enjoy them.
However, it's the overkill. The mass hysteria. The "it's the best-book-you-will-ever-read-and-it-changed-my-life" bullshit that turns me off. It's not you Harry Potter, it's me.
It's happened before and it will happen again. American Idol, Glee, One Tree Hill, Oprah Book Club, The Bachelor, True Blood, Weeds, Twilight, Kindle, iPad, SmartPhone,  ... the Trending Now on Yahoo.com. Harry Potter! Yeah, you can tell me I would like it, you can explain in detail why I would enjoy the movie, book or whatever but this, along with encouragement from others and the media, is a turn-off.
Yeah, I started watching True Blood and Weeds and am in love. They are good shows I enjoy. Yeah, I read Twilight and am a big fan. If you took it away from me ... said I could never watch or read these things again ... I'd be sad but would know I am gonna live another day. Keep on keepin' on and I will survive!
I don't know what it is but when stuff is shoved down my throat -- whether it be on TV, the Internet or by word-of-mouth -- I am turned off. It doesn't make me want to run out and read it or watch it or whatever.
Is it because it belies expectations? You rant and rave how amazing something is and I think, wow ... this can't be as great as you say it will be. Nothing is amazing (maybe because I'm so cynical!) Everyone is different and could enjoy something exactly the same -- i.e. True Blood -- but for entirely different reasons because of life experiences, etc.
Or is it because people are stupid and typically enjoy mindless entertainment? Run with the masses and enjoy what they want you to enjoy you little rats, you little rats in cages.

No comments:

Post a Comment