Monday, September 24, 2012

2012 Emmy Award Winners: Beyond the Day-After Who Wore It Best, I Don't Care

I've been known to enjoy what can be referred to as Trash Rags, aka US Weekly, OK! and, if feeling particularly cultured, People. Judge away, I don't give a damn. I enjoy the drama of fictional people with no regard to truth vs. lies. I don't care because I'll never befriend these stars, gain their trust over months of bonding -- happy hours, lunches, mani/pedis, shopping trips, girl nights out -- and have them reveal their deepest, darkest secrets after too much red wine.
As George Bush Sr. said: Not gonna happen.
This fascination pushed me to take in some pre-Emmys action last night. Full disclosure: I was surfing around for something to watch and found E!'s red carpet show and rolled the dice. I like fashion. I like celebrity gossip. Let's give this a whirl. Also, I wanted to understand the ways of millions of Americans. According to ABC, 13.2 million people watched the Emmy's last night.
And away we go!
First thought: It was interesting to see what the women were wearing.
I enjoyed Leslie Mann's getup - beautiful and young! Match-matchy Heidi Klum wore a one-piece with a beach coverup -- single and ready to mingle with men other than the help. Nicole Kidman's seamstress ran out of sequins, Ginnifer Goodwin went with the cover of her grandmother's sofa, Zooey Deschanel and Julianna Hough were late for the Disney Princess Prom.
Like clockwork, celebs along the lines of Sofia Vergara and Christina Hendricks looked stunning -- vaa vaa voom!
Julianne Moore and Julie Bowen went with the shade of Sharpie Yellow Highlighter. Ashley Judd channeled Joan Jetson, Julianna Marguiles and Elizabeth Moss's dresses were ugly, Lucy Liu wore a disco ball and Lena Dunham yearns for her post-menopausal years. You couldn't ignore Kat Dennings' cleavage or Connie Britton's hideous hairdo.
I could go on but won't because you get the picture. It should be noted the majority of these catty reactions were provided the day after (today), when perusing online picture albums of Who Wore It Best, where the public can vote like our opinion matters. I got bored with the pre-Emmy show because the questions were snooze-worthy and I'd rather read about celebrity lives in magazines then hear them talk live on TV.
Entertain me monkeys!
So, on to the show. Jimmy Kimmel is funny so I figured I'd stay with it for the long haul -- although, is he depressed? In his opening monologue, he seemed beaten down by life.
All in all, I lasted 8 minutes because I didn't care enough to not change the channel to reruns of "Family Guy." I didn't care who won an Emmy because it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many of the shows featured, including "Breaking Bad" and "Homeland." I'm glad these shows and the actors involved won awards but it doesn't change my opinion of the show or the actors/actresses.
Take Joe Emmy Watcher. He's a big "Breaking Bad" fan and likes Aaron Paul. He watches the Emmys and sees Aaron Paul win. He jumps up, he shouts, he claps, he's excited! Why? How is your life going to change now Aaron Paul won?
Too cynical?

No comments:

Post a Comment