Thursday, October 7, 2010

Politics

Am I alone in my exhaustion at the hands of politicians? I'm not referring to the re-election sideshow that is harassing us daily on TV and radio, in newspapers and magazines, etc. The ads with pictures of them with the sleeves of their collared shirts rolled up and wedding rings shining like bleached teeth, firmly shaking hands with minorities or talking to "Joe Everyman" about his plight. Bold words show how dependable and hardworking they are, elevating them to hero status.

Politicians have exhausted me for years, causing some to label my views "too cynical for my own good."

I don't trust them. Politicians remind me of a quote from "The Princess Bride" -- "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." How can one person know what is best for all the people in a town, county, region, state, country? Does anyone know what is best for a large group of people with different races, backgrounds, salaries, situations, intelligence levels, values?

Politicians don't act on what is best for their constituents, they act on what will get them re-elected or benefit their biggest donors, whether this action is conscious or not. It is always at the back of their thinking, lurking in the shadows of their thoughts and actions like a chore someone keeps putting off completing ... re-election, power, status. Tasting celebrity status is like smoking crack -- an addiction that overpowers other, more important, things like family, work, love.

Politics is not black and white, there is too much gray, too much talk and not enough action. Too many people turn on the TV to listen to whatever newscasters say, who have their own network agenda, trusting words not actions.

I read the views of "political columnists" and sigh, even with the views I occasionally agree with. They seem to know what is going on and what is "right" and what is "wrong" in government. Each column, each week and month, year in and year out, they follow their opinion. When I see their topic, I already know the gist of their words. How sad to be stuck, like a scratched CD, skipping over a note.

Will we ever know the truth about politicians, their voting records, what they've done for their constituents, their pasts? When will Americans stop being numb and stop listening and, instead,, find out what these "talking heads" have done. Talk is cheap.

I'm not promoting anarchy or anything related to chaos. I don't know what I'm promoting ... I am tired and put off by agendas and false advertising. Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment