Friday, January 13, 2012

Living in a throw away society: How do we start caring?

We are a society of litterers.
People tossing trash out car windows while cruising down the road after making sure no narks are creeping -- anything from sucked dry cans of Budweiser Select (nothing Select about that piss water) to fast food wrappers to full bags of straight-up trash. Just keep on truckin' my friend. No need to worry about who or what it affects because it ain't you so who cares? Out of sight, out of mind.
Raise your hand if you litter. Why do you do it? Too lazy or impatient to find a trash can? Too embarrassed to return home with an empty, grease stained bag from McDonald's because you know it will upset your spouse.
You cheated on your diet again?! How could you? Don't you think I want to eat a Big Mac? Don't you think I want a McFlurry? You gotta be stronger than the food! Show it who's boss!
Maybe you didn't raise your hand. Maybe you don't throw trash out your car window or on the ground as you walk down the street ...
Ooooh, Shelly's out, walking down the street, 10 times a week. I read it. I said it. I stole my momma's credit. I'm cool. I'm hot. Sock me in the stomach three more times.
Do you recycle? Do you throw away items that could be donated to charity or used by others? Do you waste things -- resources like water or gasoline? Are you anti-leftover and throw away uneaten food?
How do we start caring about others? How do we start caring about our footprint on the Earth? We cruise down the road in our over-sized, penis-enlarging SUVs with DVDs blaring while yapping away on our cell phones - meaningless conversations that could wait until we get home or see the person again. We keep lights on in our home when we aren't in the room, we take long showers, we throw leftovers in the trash along with recyclables. From an outsiders view it would look like we don't give a damn, like we are a wasteful society of gluttonous snobs.
I ain't trying to preach like I'm free from sin. No one is, especially not me or you. I watch those ASPCA commercials with Sarah McLachlan and her sad voice like everyone else and get emotional.
I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.
However, instead of dialing up them digits and donating, I turn the channel when I hear her song "Angel" start up because I know nothing good is coming, no siree. I am weary of charities ... Salvation Army, Save the Children, blah blah blah ... wondering where my money will go. I donate clothing and other items to Goodwill to get the tax write off. I ain't no angel. But I wonder. How did we get like this?
We litter and we live inward in a throw away, don't-care-about-others society. Yeah, I donate to the American Diabetes Association but it's because I have a family member with diabetes and the donations I fork over are pretty sporadic and only when they ask for moolah. Maybe it's because there are so many places to donate, so many causes to support -- we can't dedicate ourselves to them all. But I can't help but believe people who donate or helps others don't do it out of the goodness and kindness in their 3-sizes too big hearts. This ain't Dr. Seuss with happy endings and weird looking creatures spouting rhymes. People do kind things so they can tell others about it and gloat. They want people to notice, they want to post it on Facebook and Twitter. They want people to think, "Wow. Joe Schmo sure is swell!" How many people do you know who do kind things and take no credit? Those type of people are unique.
When you hear about unfortunate things happening to others -- accidents, sickness -- what's your first thought? You're thankful it's not you. It's all related -- littering, wasting resources, not caring about others -- but why do we do it? The way we were raised? Changing of the times, culture and morals? Is it only going to get worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment