Friday, November 5, 2010

Fanatics are liars

They're loud, emotional and unwavering in their beliefs. At an appropriate place or not (when is it ever appropriate?), from their mouths will spew “how it is” and “what's going on” locally, nationally and internationally like a garden hose. Instead of "I think ... " or "In my opinion ... ," they speak the ultimate truth. “You need to do this ... “ or “This Senator so-and-so is a liar because ... “ The world is flat, the Bible should be followed literally, you're a bad person because ... , I'm right, you're wrong, vote Democrat, vote Republican, if you mix Pop Rocks and Coke and drink it your stomach will explode!
I zone out until they catch me and break their blabbering to ask me a question like a pop quiz! Pay attention to me, I'm telling you ground breaking truth!
How do they find time to be so ridiculous? I hardly have enough mental juice to power me through the workday and life. Try to put in an eight-hour day (working or not, at least I look like I am) and wake up early and move fast enough in the morning – eat breakfast, take a shower, put on clothes, put on make-up, pack a lunch – to get to work on time, where I try to get work done while also handling anything else – family calls to catch up or have me “lend an ear” to a situation, eating normally (even though those f-sticks bring in pizza and cookies and brownies all the time – I can hear the sweet goodness calling me -- the sound as soft as the hum of a copy machine ... eat me, one bite won't hurt, you deserve it, you've had a long day, make up for it at the gym ... if I even go). But I digress.
These fanatics believe in huge issues one way or the other and it rules their existence -- it boggles my mind. They are brainwashed by the media or someone else or they are a believer in anything that pops into their head.
I don't believe in absolutes so it's odd that something is 100 percent anything. What the hell do I know? Can you think of anything you are fanatical about? It's always the fanatics who don't believe they are fanatics ...
The media turns these wackos into instant celebrities, following their moves and turning gossip or news into front page headlines – these narrow-minded, bigoted and judgmental fanatics want the spotlight, they need it, they feed on it like a drug addict. That should be another drug addiction – celebrity. The show “Celebrity Rehab” should help celebrities get over their egos, but it would be extremely difficult.
Fanatics never change their opinion, no matter what you do or say -- abortion protesters and hot ticket items, like subjects you should not discuss in mixed company or with extended family if want to keep from being a total jerk and making everyone uncomfortable in an already uncomfortable situation. Politics, war, abortion, racism, religion – where opinions are mostly black and white.
Although they are complicated topics with layers and circumstances, people are mostly one way or the other and ready to scream their heads off about their stance. Or is it mostly the media, presenting us with these nut-bars and shoving them in our face when, honestly, there are only a handful of them?
Everyone is scared. Like diet fads, everyone wants an easy solution to these hot topics and the fat stuck to their waistlines. Work out and eat healthy? Nonsense! Take this pill. Weigh options and be comfortable with unknowns? No way! Believe this!
Are these people truly fanatical? No. They are lying to you and to themselves, either subliminally or on purpose, which is sad because they harm others by doing this, their children and those who are easily moved. They are scared shitless. Instead of weighing options and being comfortable with not knowing, instead of believing everyone is entitled to an opinion, they feel safer with extremes, with black or white. The Bible is truth. Follow the Bible completely and you go to Heaven. Don't and you go to hell. It's that easy folks!
What happens when you die? Does your body stay here and your soul go somewhere else? Is there a soul? Does your mind click off like turning off the TV? Game over. Thanks for playing!
It's scary to think about this and similar topics but even if I am pushed to believe something specific, I will always know, in the back corner of my thoughts, that I don't know. I don't know anything and neither do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment