Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Shut your mouth

I would love for everyone, including myself, to lose the ability to communicate for a week – a day would not be adequate for permanent change. People need to move past the exciting feelings associated with the newfangled and move towards negative emotions that come when they feel they will never communicate again -- fear, stress, worry as to why this happened, will it ever end ... With negative emotions comes the urge and fuel to change.
This week will include no talking, no sign language or e-mail, blogging, twitter, text or phone ... nothing. People communicate too much, especially talking.
There is an urgency and uneasiness with talking. We can't be silent. Not the urge to speak but also the confusion from others when we are quiet. Not speaking is seen as negative, attributed to anger or sadness.
When we spend time with someone or a group, it is human nature to speak. Silences make people uneasy, nervous. Is it because we can't read minds?
Speaking makes me nervous. Talking too much makes me nervous. People are constantly judging – looks, actions, posture, movement, speech. Since I can't be invisible, I want to take speech away.
I will not say something that might offend or be taken the “wrong way.” I will not say anything.
What will happen then? Will people learn and change or will they be thrilled to have communication back that they forget the emotions they encountered during the week? It's easy to forget and to return to routine, much easier than making lasting change.

No comments:

Post a Comment